How can TheraTogs contribute to the management of children with Down Syndrome?
TheraTogs garments deliver the enhanced somatosensory input and gentle mechanical stability of a customized body hug. Strapping is available to improve the alignment of the spine and pelvis, to shorten long muscles – usually abdominals – to allow them to work in shortened state, and to reduce the functioning base of support.
- Postural control
- Somatosensory information processing and modulation
- Neural plasticity: cortical mapping and massed practice
Applicable Therapy Approaches:
Wide Range of Uses:
The customizability of TheraTogs strapping strategies empowers attending therapists to design problem-specific systems that support their therapy goals. For this reason, please find condition-specific discussions at these blogs:
Applicable TheraTogs Systems
These TheraTogs products support therapy goals for children with hypotonia:
- Posture and Torso Alignment (PTA) System
- Full Body System (FBS) – comes with limb strapping components.
- Wunzi System – for infants and young preschoolers.
About Postural and Movement Problems in Down Syndrome
Generalized hypotonia and ligament laxity in many joints diminish the function of the somatosensory (position and movement) receptors in joints and muscles, contributing to delays and deficits in the development of postural control and gross motor skills. The relaxed postures of hypotonia impose lengthening on supporting muscles, compromising their strength. Children with Down Syndrome are known to respond favorably to a variety of therapy approaches including sensory integration, vestibular stimulation, and neurodevelopmental therapy.
For more information about Down Syndrome, see:
- Pereira K, Basso RP, Lindquist AR, da Silva LG, Tudella E. 2013. Infants with Down syndrome: percentage and age for acquisition of gross motor skills. Res Dev Disabil. 34(3):894-901.
- Uyanik M, Bumin G, Kayihan H.2003. Comparison of different therapy approaches in children with Down syndrome. Pediatr Int. 45(1): 68-73.