The DFA System is useful for persons exhibiting or potentially developing calf muscle contractures. There are two product configurations: a Sleep System for overnight or nap wear, and a Gait System for use in gait training. You can also purchase a Combo unit for full-time use: the Combo unit contains one each of both the Sleep and Gait Systems. Product size is determined by the wearer’s shoe size (see Sizing tab below for information.)
Indications and Applications
The DFA System is useful to provide carryover of clinical activities in the presence of the following indications and diagnoses:
- Cerebral palsy
- Traumatic Brain Injury – acute, post-acute, and chronic phases
- Hemiplegia due to Stroke – acute, post-acute, and chronic phases
- Disc herniation –> dorsiflexion weakness
- Dropfoot in Multiple Sclerosis
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Peroneal nerve palsy
- Plantar fasciitis
- Talipes Equinovarus (flexible type)
- Toe Walking
The TheraTogs Ankle Dorsiflexion Assist (DFA) System is a completely adaptable, comfortable solution to the challenge of addressing dorsiflexion limitations and calf muscle contractures. In addition to providing carryover of gentle, prolonged stretch activities in-clinic for potential or current contractures, the DFA system also allows for pronation and supination correction via the selection and positioning of GoldTone and TogRite strapping.
Two DFA Models
The DFA Sleep System is designed to reduce or prevent calf contractures with a comfortable, sleep-friendly system that provides low-load, prolonged elongation to shortened calf muscle and soft tissues while protecting the midtarsal joint from strain. Its key features and uses include:
- Midfoot Joint Support Split Strap – Provide the midtarsal joint support that is essential to foot deformity management – PLUS the comfort that is essential to sleep.
- Supination or Pronation Support – Bias the foot position in favor of preferred alignment.
- Forefoot DF Strap – Add gentle, adjustable elongation to the calf musculature.
- 5-pronged DF Split Strap – Add midfoot stabilization and gentle elongation to the calf, toe flexors, and plantar fascia with a cozy, adjustable wrap.
The DFA Gait System can be configured for either in-shoe or outside-of-shoe wear, and offers these key features and uses:
- Simplicity – Easy to apply in minutes!
- Support (don’t supplant) – dynamic ankle motion – Use the dynamic Gait Trainer to help the user experience improved ankle motion in gait without “taking over” for the DF musculature.
- Extra clinical hands – Provide hands-free DF support and foot clearance while training your clients on treadmills – with or without partial un-weighting.
- Keep up with changes – Fine-tune the DF-assist torque to accommodate changes in ankle function over time – just by moving or removing a strap!
- Preview orthotic design – Evaluate the effectiveness of an articulated free ankle with DF-assist joints for your patient before you design, prescribe, or fabricate custom orthoses.
The DFA Combo set contains one each of both the Sleep and Gait systems in one unit.
DFA Sleep System
- Prevent calf muscle contractures
- Maintain dorsiflexion ROM
- Provide low-load, prolonged elongation to shortened triceps surae while protecting the midtarsal joint from dorsiflexion strain
DFA Gait Trainer System
- Enhance gait performance during rehabilitation
- Assist foot clearance and heel strike.
- Resist swing-phase supination or pronation.
- Allow normal plantarflexion in early stance.
- Assist knee flexion in early stance and toe-off.
- Preview the effectiveness of a comparable orthotic design before choosing an AFO with a stop.
Chen W, Liu X, Pu F, et al. 2017. Conservative treatment for equinus deformity in children with cerebral palsy using an adjustable splint-assisted ankle-foot orthosis. Medicine (Baltimore). 6(40):e8186. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5738005/ 1This study suggests that correction with the adjustable splint-assisted AFO is an effective treatment for equinus deformity in CP Children.
Schuitema D, Greve C, Postema K, Dekker R, Hijmans JM. Effectiveness of Mechanical Treatment for Plantar Fasciitis: A Systematic Review. J Sport Rehabil. 2019 Oct 18:1-18. P. 1. 2“Combining night splints or rocker shoes with insoles enhances improvement in pain relief and function compared with [either intervention in isolation.”
Farmer SE, James M. 2001. Contractures in orthopaedic and neurological conditions: a review of causes and treatment. Disabil Rehabil 10;23(13): 549-558.
Lai JM, Jones M, Willis FB. 2008. Efficacy of Dynamic Splinting on Plantar-Flexion Tone and Contracture Seen in CVA and TBI Patients: A Controlled Cross-Over Study. In Proceedings of the 16th European Congress of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine. Turin, Italy: Edizioni Minerva Medica. (pp. 106-109).
Robinson W, Smith R, Aung O, Ada L. 2008. No difference between wearing a night splint and standing on a tilt table in preventing ankle contracture early after stroke: a randomised trial. Aust J Physiother. 54(1):33-8.
TheraTogs systems are FDA Class I medical devices intended to be issued by, and applied under the supervision of, a licensed healthcare practitioner engaged in neuromotor training. TheraTogs systems are made of GoldTone – a proprietary composite fabric with foam backing made of an aqueous-based elastomeric urethane. TogRite strapping is elastomeric strapping with an inert, silicone-based grip surface. All materials and components of TheraTogs™ orthotic garment systems are latex-free in their manufacture and packaging.
TheraTogs™, Therapy You Wear™, TogRite™ and Wunzi™ are trademarks of TheraTogs, Inc. TheraTogs systems are protected by US Patents # 8,007,457 and 8,535,256 B2, and Canadian patent #2495769. Additional US and foreign patents pending.