Improved sitting alignment and stability can improve visual attention to tasks and hand use at school, in therapy sessions, and at home. The new TheraTogs Sit-Up System carries over correctable sitting posture and stability positioning quickly, easily, and effectively, and can be applied over clothing in less than a minute.
Indications & Applications
The Sit-Up System provides carryover of clinical activities in the presence of the following indications and diagnoses:
- Somatosensory processing deficits that interfere with postural alignment and stability in sitting
- Sensory- or stability-seeking movements in sitting seen in some children with ASD or DCD and that reduce
with manual facilitation
- Flexible lumbar kyphosis that is either actively or manually correctable without force
- A need for assistance in core strengthening by facilitating lumbar extension during therapeutic exercise activities
The Sit-Up System features two thigh cuffs and a strong, elastic TogRite™ muscle-assist strap that helps the weak iliopsoas muscle to extend the lumbar spine and to abduct and laterally rotate the hips, building a wider, more stable base of support with a more vertical pelvis.
The Sit-Up System provides carryover of rehabilitation activities which offer significant immediate benefits:
- Mimics & maintains unforced manual facilitation of improved posture
- Provides flexible & comfortable postural support at the pelvis & hips where it matters most
- Reduces degrees of freedom to aid in gaining sitting balance by stabilizing the base of support
- Increases body awareness of the lumbar spine, hips, and pelvis
- Can be used at school, therapy, home, or office
- Worn over clothes – no privacy issues
- Snaps on or off quickly.
- Improved sitting posture
- Improved sitting stability
- Improved visual attention in the classroom or therapy session (Speech, OT)
- Improved hand use
- Improved lung capacity
|SU100||Sit-Up X-Small: Infant|
|SU200||Sit-Up Small: Infant to Pre-School|
|SU300||Sit-Up Medium: School-Aged Children|
|SU400||Sit-Up Large: Teens & Adults|
Arndt SW, Chandler LS, Sweeney JK, Sharkey MA, McElroy JJ. 2008. Effects of a neurodevelopmental treatment-based trunk protocol for infants with posture and movement dysfunction. Pediatr Phys Ther. 20(1):11-22.
Brogren E, Forssberg H, Hadders-Algra M. 2001. Influence of two different sitting positions on postural adjustments in children with spastic diplegia Dev Med Child Neurol. 43(8):534-46.
Buderath P, Gärtner K, Frings M, et al. 2009. Postural and gait performance in children with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Gait Posture. 29(2):249-54.
Butler PB. 1998. A preliminary report on the effectiveness of trunk targeting in achieving independent sitting balance in children with cerebral palsy. Clin Rehabil. 12 (4): 281-293.
Deffeyes JE, Harbourne RT, Stuberg WA, Stergiou N. 2011. Sensory information utilization and time delays characterize motor developmental pathology in infant sitting postural control. Motor Control. 15(2):302-17
Heyrman L, Desloovere K, Molenaers G, et al. 2013. Clinical characteristics of impaired trunk control in children with spastic cerebral palsy. Res Dev Disabil. 34(1): 327-334.
van der Heide JC, Hadders-Algra M. 2005. Postural muscle dyscoordination in children with cerebral palsy. Neural Plast. 12(2-3):197-203; discussion 263-72. Review.
Westcott SL, Burtner PA. 2004. Postural control in children: implications for pediatric practice. Phys Occup Ther Pediatr. 24(1-2):5-55. Review.
TheraTogs systems are FDA Class I medical devices intended to be issued by, and applied under the supervision of, a licensed healthcare practitioner engaged in neuromotor training. TheraTogs systems are made of GoldTone – a proprietary composite fabric with foam backing made of an aqueous-based elastomeric urethane. TogRite strapping is elastomeric strapping with an inert, silicone-based grip surface. All materials and components of TheraTogs™ orthotic garment systems are latex-free in their manufacture and packaging.
TheraTogs™, Therapy You Wear™, TogRite™ and Wunzi™ are trademarks of TheraTogs, Inc. TheraTogs systems are protected by US Patents # 8,007,457 and 8,535,256 B2, and Canadian patent #2495769. Additional US and foreign patents pending.